If you are a serious gamer, then you probably spend hours on end staring at a screen while sitting down and playing a game that you enjoy.
But did you know that what you sit on while you play can really change the experience and make your life a lot easier? The best gaming chair will do that.
That is why gaming chairs exist and are around. They are meant to provide comfort designed specifically for gamers who need to sit for long periods of time, which is why getting this piece of equipment can be vital to your body’s health.
The right chair can even allow you to play longer as you will feel less tired while you are gaming.
There are many kinds of gaming chairs out there, so it can be hard to decide which one you need, let alone which is the best among them. That is why we have gathered together some information to help you decide!
What to Look for in a Good Gaming Chair
Type of chair
The first thing you have to consider is what kind of chair would suit the type of gaming you do. Generally, there are chairs that sit low and casually on the floor for console gamers, and there are desk chairs for PC gamers. The types of games you usually play will determine what kind to get.
Low-sitting chairs often have rocking functions that allow you to easily lean back or move back and forth based on your preferences.
Many also have built-in audio features that can add to gameplay. These types of chairs are also comfortable for watching TV, reading magazines, talking on the phone, or just relaxing in general.
Desk chairs tend to be more rigid in form, although some do have reclining functions so that you can lean back to some degree.
They will probably also have a swivel function and wheels attaches so that you can easily travel across the floor with them.
These kinds of chairs will also work great when you are working at your table, and some are comfortable enough to make good places for some relaxation, too.
Let’s face it: gaming sessions can last for several hours, leaving you feeling a bit sore from sitting too much.
That is why you will need a gaming chair that provides with comfort and relaxation that also is not too hard on your back and posture.
Ergonomics are an important part of anything, and they are especially important for something you will be sitting on for hours at a time.
You will want to find a chair that has a backrest that cradles your body is a specific way, fitting to you so that you do not feel awkward or uncomfortable.
Some chairs even have design features that make sure you have the best posture possible while using them.
Good gaming chairs should also have a good amount of cushion to them, and it would be a good idea if that cushion does not wear off too much over time. This cushion should also not flatten even if you use the chair for hours.
In addition, the material that a chair’s cover is made from can change a gaming experience – opt for more breathable options so that sweat and heat does not get to you as you play!
Armrests, if a chair has one, should also be comfortable. Ideally, these should be adjustable to some degree, as should the height of the chair.
It should, of course, go without saying that you should take note of the measurements of the chair you plan to buy so that you know it will be the right fit for you.
There is nothing worse than making a purchase and finding it to be the wrong size!
Gaming chairs are often quite high in price, which means that you will want them to last for a significant amount of time before giving out – and hopefully, that is not something they will do!
That is why durability is important, so you get the most value out of the price you pay.
Gaming chairs should be made from a strong, sturdy frame with a good amount of balance, so you can use tilt or recline features without worrying about it tipping over.
The stitching of the cover over the frame should be tight and secure so that it does not fray or come loose over time. The chair cover should also be made of a material that does not flake or come apart easily.
If you are not too sure about the durability of a product, then check out its warranty policies. Some offer unlimited parts replacement, and many may come with a 30-day return or exchange warranty as well.
While you are checking that out, do a bit of research about the company’s customer service history to ensure that they will not be difficult to deal with.
Audio, Or No Audio?
Some gaming chairs work to enhance your gaming experience as much as possible, and as such, may integrate an audio system that you can connect to a console for a more immersive experience.
This will allow you to hear game noises, music, and sounds from the chair itself. The feature is pretty nifty, but it can add to the price of a product.
So, if you do plan to buy a chair with an audio feature, then you will need to make sure you know what to look for.
Most audio chairs will have speakers in the headrest for easier hearing. These speakers should be of a good quality and provide good volume and even bass, so that you get the most out of your game.
Some chairs with audio even have options to adjust bass separately so that you can customize your gaming experience.
On a similar note, all volume controls for the audio on the chair should be easy to access, and it should be fairly easy to connect to a console.
Some use transmitters to pick up audio signals, while others need to be plugged in. Either way, the process should not be a complicated one.
Finally, for a chair to have technology integrated into it, it needs a power source.
You may want to be wary of chairs that use batteries to work, as the audio functions can easily drain and eat through them in very short time spans.
A chair that plugs into a socket to access electricity is the kind that is a better idea to go for.
The Best Gaming Chair 2017 Reviews
Homall Desk Chair
This chair looks like an office one, with a bit of a modern twist. It has 360-degree swivel and a multi-direction wheel, and it comes in two different color options.
It can hold a maximum weight of 280 pounds, and its seating area has a 20” x 20” dimension while its back rest measures 20” x 28.3”. The seat can further be adjusted to heights of 18.1” to 21.2”.
- Made from a PU leather material, this chair and its padded armrest are supposedly manufactured to provide comfort while also being good for your skin. The chair itself was designed ergonomically in order to be the most comfortable.
- The material of this chair breathes, so you will not find yourself sweating or feeling hot while using it. This is especially thanks to the mesh and metal build of the chair.
- The chair moves easily across the floor and can rock back and forth in order to be most conducive to whatever you need it for.
- Its base is of a heavy duty material and fitted with castors to increase stability.
- The seat height is adjustable to a certain degree so that you can use it regardless of your own height.
- Meant to be appealing to the eyes, this gaming chair features a luxury racing care style executive design so that you look good while playing games.
- The company offers a lifetime replacement warranty and will send you free replacements for installation problems and damaged or missing parts. If the chair is not to your satisfaction, you can return it to the company for a no-questions-asked refund or replacement.
- Installation is meant to be simple and easily completed within thirty minutes, and if you need help, the chair comes with detailed instructions.
- It is affordable and within a good price range.
- Customer service is difficult to get through to.
- The cushioning on the back is not thick enough to hide the feeling of the back support bar.
- During assembly, you may notice that the holes for bolt assembly are not straight.
- If you like plush, soft chairs, this one is not for you as it is designed to be firm to improve posture. This can also make the back of the chair very stiff, making it uncomfortable to sit in for very long periods of time.
- Although the chair claims to have a high back, customers have reported that even if they are of average height, it does not go as high as they would like it to.
- This possible wear and tear of this chair may include the swivel mechanism breaking down or the components becoming loose. The chair may also begin to squeak and become noisy.
- Overall, the chair itself is not the most durable and its construction is weak, so if you use it daily, you may find it breaking down sooner than you expect it to.
- The stitching is not durable, and you may find that it comes undone with wear and tear.
X Rocker 51396 Pro Series Pedestal 2.1 Video Gaming Chair
This bestselling chair is optimized for gaming and allows audio to be linked directly to it. It measures a total of 42” in height, and its power source is from a simple A/C plug in the wall.
The chair can also hold even up to 300lbs, but it is made for those smaller and shorter than this weight would suggest. The chair is compatible with Playstation consoles and Xbox consoles.
- This chair promises comfort thanks to an ergonomic design, fitted with gunstock arms and a pedestal with tilt and swivel functions.
- The pedestal base offers elevation and its arms provide support, letting you feel more comfortable while also maintaining good posture.
- The cushions are excellent for long periods of gaming, so you will not need to deal with a chair that is too hard.
- It comes with two built-in speakers that are hidden inside the headrest and a subwoofer that uses 2.1 Audio Force Modulation Technology so that you don’t just hear audio, but feel it. This also magnifies sound quality in order to help with game immersion, and provides great vibration.
- The chair has a wireless receiver, and its wireless transmitter works easily with any RCA stereo output source, or you can use the RCA cables that are included to connect.
- A control panel is easily accessible on the chair, and it has separate volume and bass controls so you get exactly the kind of sound that you want.
- If you have other X Rocker chairs, this gaming chair can connect to them for multiplayer games, allowing for seamless audio that can be enjoyed by everyone.
- Setup is extremely easy and can be finished very quickly.
- You cannot lean back very much on the chair, as it is not a rocker or recliner.
- The transmitter does not come with its own power charger.
- If no audio is being sent to the speakers in the chair, it will automatically shut off after a particular period of time.
- There is not that much padding on the chair, even if it feels very soft and cozy, and this may cause the padding to feel too flat over time. In addition, there is a rod on the front seat that can feel painful when the padding thins out. Essentially, the chair is built for gaming, not comfort.
- After sitting in the chair for a while, the padding will become flatter, which may lead you to need to use a separate cushion for extended gameplay times.
- Durability is not high for this chair, and the padding may crack after a certain period of time, or the pedestal – which is merely made from plastic – may suffer from wear and tear more quickly than expected.
- Customer service is not excellent with the company that manufacturers or distributes this product.
Kinsal Ergonomic Leather High-back Swivel Chair
It is designed to hold up to 280lbs and its seat measures 20” x 16” while its sitting height is around 17.5” to 20.5”. The backrest measures 34.5” x 16”. It is available in blue and white on certain websites, although there is a wide variety of colors available in stores.
- The chair is made from high quality PU leather, and it is made from a large tubular steel frame and a strong star base, which promises a high level of stability and comfort.
- Designed with ergonomic back and head support in mind, the product has fully adjustable armrests and height.
- This product has a 360-degree swivel and has a 90-degree to 180-degree backward tilt movement, so it can recline far back until it is lying flat like a bed.
- The product has been upsized to cater to those who are larger or taller.
- The chair is fitted with universal racing caster wheels that are silent and move smoothly if needed.
- Designed to be stylish and sophisticated, this product is meant to look good as well as offer good functionality. Its appearance is inspired by racecar seats, adding a dash of the daring to the overall look.
- The PU leather cover is resistant to fading and can be very easily wiped down or cleaned.
- Each purchased chair comes with a metal ID card that hosts a unique serial number that will assist customer service in identifying your product’s purchase details if they need to clear up problems.
- The product is very easy to assemble, with only three steps involved that can be finished in a matter of minutes.
- A headrest cushion and lumbar cushion arrive as free products when you order the chair.
- This company prides itself on its excellent customer service.
- The chair comes with a 30-day warranty that allows you to return or exchange the product for free with no questions asked. After the 30-day period, you can still receive free replacements for parts that are damaged or defective.
- The arms rests adjust upwards and downwards only, not in or out, which is a feature that you may have preferred to have included. The arm rests are also notably short.
- If you are on the heavy side, you may find that the support cylinder on the back of the chair is not sufficient to hold your weight. You can rectify this by purchasing a heavy-duty cylinder as a replacement.
- You might find that the neck pillow is not in the right position, and it might be entirely useless for you.
- The chair may become uncomfortable during long or extended gaming sessions.
- Although the 180-degree recline is nifty, it does not have enough sense of balance for you to make use of that function.
- The ends of the chair are raised, which can be uncomfortable for some.
- The high price of this chair may be a bit much for the quality that you receive, which means you will not necessarily get the best value for money from this product.
Sanford 5121001 ABC Life Style Furniture Video Rocker
The product comes in a number of colors, from plain black, to black and red, to black and silver. There is no stated weight limit, but it is generally built for smaller users, and many have reported that it is most comfortable for those of around 150lbs or less. The seat measures 15” in width.
- This video rocker style chair has casual low seating that is perfect for gamers.
- The chair is made from a strong hardwood frame that is padded by fire retardant foam, with all of this covered with upholstery-grade vinyl that is easy to clean and wipe down.
- A sturdy and well-cushioned seat fits to your body and rocks back and forth so that you will always feel comfortable while using it.
- An ergonomic design makes for better posture as it enhances support on your back so that you are always relaxed as you sit in the healthiest way for your body.
- The product is durable and will not break down easily, and it will last you for a long time.
- It is made to be compact and light so that it can be moved around and stored easily without taking up too much space.
- The wide variety of colors, some decorated with mesh racing stripes, allows you to express your individuality.
- This is one of the most affordable chairs on the market, and it makes a fantastic budget option.
- A 30-day limited warranty is included with purchase of this chair.
- There are no pockets or storage on this rocking chair.
- Despite its style, which typically comes with audio functions, this chair does not have any extra features.
- The material is slightly tight around its hardwood, which can make it a bit uncomfortable depending on the way you use it, and it is not great for very long periods of use. This is also due in part to the need for a little more padding.
- The lack of comfort provided by the chair means that your back and neck may suffer after using it for extended gameplay.
- The material is not breathable and can be uncomfortable on the skin, especially on hot days.
- You will have to be careful when rocking backwards on the chair, as leaning back too far will tip it over and land you on your back. In short, this product is not balanced well or properly.
- If you are taller or larger in size, you may find this chair much too small for you. The headrest may be far too low for you.
- The return policy is not the greatest, and you may only receive a 50% refund if you have the product sent back, depending on the circumstances.
Cohesion XP 2.1 Gaming Chair with Audio
This chair is built to be a budget gaming chair and is generally aimed at those with a smaller frame, like children or teenagers, although adults can also use it comfortably if desired.
There is no specified weight limit to this chair, but it is not recommended for those over 200lbs.
- This chair has two wired receiver audio speakers that are built into the chair to allow you to have a more immersive gaming experience.
- The volume of the speakers is loud and immersive for those on the chair, but for those farther away, it is much more muted, which means you can enjoy audio without worrying about overwhelming noise pollution or disturbing those around you.
- The speakers connect via aux cord to a vast majority of gaming consoles.
- In / out headphone jacks come with the chair, along with volume control that is placed in a convenient spot so that you can easily adjust the audio features.
- The product is lightweight and incredibly comfortable, and it is also foldable, so it is easy to move around and store without taking too much space.
- An ergonomic design cradles your form easily so that you feel relaxed.
- All aspects of this chair either meet or exceed all Consumer Product Safety Commission standards.
- It is an affordable budget option with great features for those looking for an inexpensive gaming chair.
- The speakers do not have great sound quality, as this chair has a low price. There isn’t much bass to the audio, so it can take away from immersion.
- This chair is not made for long periods of gameplay and it can get uncomfortable or feel hard if you have been using it for a long time.
- There is minimal cushioning throughout the chair, so you may have to get your own separate cushion if you want to use it.
- Running on batteries means that the chair drains power quickly, and the audio function is known to deplete charge very quickly.
- It is generally made for smaller users and is great for children, which means if you are bigger or taller, it may be uncomfortable for you. You may also find your head exceeding the area of the backrest due to this fact.
When choosing a gaming chair, you need to factor in comfort, durability, and the type of chair and features you are going for.
With all these things considered, we would have to recommend the X Rocker 51396 Pro Series Pedestal 2.1 Video Gaming Chair.
Its audio features just cannot be beat, and the fact that it has an option for that to work in multiplayer is even better,
In addition, the X Rocker Gaming Chair is very comfortable and is a great buy for serious gamers who will need to sit in front of a screen for ages.
What it lacks in durability – which can easily be averted by simply being careful with the chair and using it lightly – is easily made up for with value for money thanks to all its cool features.
At the end of the day, the product you choose needs to be fitted to your specifications and desires, so all we have done is help you narrow down your list of possibilities and shop intelligently.
Hopefully, this article has helped you the best gaming chair!